Defending pedophiles

Posted: November 4, 2012 in Uncategorized
Tags:

This post is prompted by a previous one I did about having a pedophile accidentally included in a class I was teaching to men who had been convicted of domestic violence.

The blog was linked to Google Plus, as always, and I knew it could spark some interesting comments.

I noted that it was not graphic so as to not worry some of my readers.

What transpired that day was something that upset me tremendously, inspired me and made me so grateful for my friends, all at the same time.

Most responded well but along came the trolls. I have let the comments on Google Plus stand so others may see them and make their own decisions.

I was also hit very hard on my blog with comments I didn’t approve and then deleted. I was shocked by how many I got, asking me to back-off, sympathize with the pedophiles and telling me they can’t help it and don’t belong in jail.

Some tried to force me into defending the pedophile and attacked me for not allowing him to participate in my class.

Others wanted all the gory details of his crimes.

Another one told me I was unprofessional and condescending.

For all of those that came to my defense, I love you dearly. I never explain or defend my stories. They are MY stories and I post them for others to enjoy.

If you don’t like them, then don’t read them. It’s that simple.

I do not believe in tormenting, punishing or harming anyone but that doesn’t mean there aren’t people who need to be removed from society as their actions are more harmful than good.

For those that attacked me and wanted details, you tipped your hand. I now know what is really on your mind. Thanks for that. Your names have been forwarded to the proper authorities.

As for those that talk to me and tell me their stories, rest assured I will never betray your trust or disclose anything you have told me. No matter how hard I may get hammered or badgered, I will never repeat what you have told me.

I know this is an ugly subject but the further I get into my writing, the closer this subject approaches. I don’t like it any better than you, but there are stories that need to be told and I have been entrusted with them and will do my best to give them the respect that they deserve.

If writing about it pisses some people off, I don’t care. Someone needs to speak for the silent survivors that contact me and want their stories told.

To all the trolls out there, I say this – bring it on. You ain’t got nothing I can’t handle.

To those that tell me their stories, I say this – as long as I can breathe, I will listen and keep your stories scared and in my heart. I will never betray your trust.

Advertisements
Comments
  1. Miriclaire says:

Happy to be among your friends. It amazes me that some people can be so tough on certain issues (politics for instance) yet when it comes to the poor, misunderstood pedophiles, all of a sudden extend a bleeding heart to them.

2. s0rceress0 says:

I liked the way you wrote the last post. It really displayed the honest feelings of you, and your group. I may not always agree with what has happened in someones story, but I do have to say, I am looking at it from an entirely different perspective. I wasn’t there. Neither were the trolls. Trying to make you defend someone that you are sure doesn’t need defending is useless. There is only one person we can “make” do anything, that’s ourselves. Those who want “all the gory details” really make me raise an eyebrow in concern.
    Write what you want, Read what you will. If I don’t like it, I’ll feel free to f off.

• Susan Lewis says:

Thank you so much!

It’s not a matter of agreeing – though that’s always fun! – but a matter of communicating and understanding each other.

That’s what I love about writing – people have their own take on it and it’s great to hear it.

Thank you for taking the time to read and comment.

Susan

3. wxmouse says:

Sickness is not an excuse. One still knows it is wrong, unacceptable, and must still give themselves permission to do such a thing. Many even will comfort themselves and try to argue “I never hurt her/him.” What eludes them is the fact the hurt is a life long trial of health and mental battles from internalizing what has been done to them. Most never tell until it is far too late. Just like it was for me. Not always just out of shame, but out of fear of being re-victimized, unbelieved, and disconnected from anyone who might have been able to stop the abuses. To this day I deal with family who take sides about who believes whom. My abuser knew it was wrong, knows he could have gone to prison for it, yet gets off on having eluded the system repeatedly. He never was sorry, still blames me for his divorce and the fact that his children refuse to support him, or visit him with their children.

• Susan Lewis says:

I am sorry that happened to you but very glad you are still here, slugging it out with the rest of us.

Some of the things I have heard make me realize that those that justify the abuse of a child have things they aren’t talking about.

Thank you for your comments and having the courage to post them.

xoxoxox

4. phil davis says:

Hi Susan, just started following you on G+ which led to your blog and then this story. Your experience with the pedophile was enlightening. I don’t see how anyone would have a problem with it, unless they are extremely gullible. From what I understand pedophiles are extremely hard too rehabilitate and are a danger of unless hard core supervision. Thanks for the .

• Susan Lewis says:

Hi Phil!

Glad to know you. I’ll find you on Google Plus!

I am happy you enjoyed the story.

I have never seen one cured or rehabilitated yet. I could be wrong, but I would not believe someone telling me that and then letting him near a child.

My response has always been “Oh really? You going to let him babysit your child now?”

They never let them.

Susan

5. Laurie M says:

& THIS My Darling Susan is WHY I call you Dear Friend!

DO NOT LET THE TROLLS get you down or discourage you. Do what you feel is right & your FRIENDS will support you. You KNOW I DO! Keep on keepin on Dear Heart! You are doing FINE!